History was made on 29th September 1966, when M M
McLaren (the Rate payers Candidate for Harwich) advertised on the station
during a local by election. A law made in 1947 regarding election
broadcasts did not apply to offshore stations. He won by 260 votes.
On the 22nd February 1967, Vincent Murphy telephoned from Washington to
England, so that a potential backer could hear the station. Unfortunatly
during the call the station left the air suddenly, as the two-hundred and
ten foot mast had broken.
A floating dock was going to be hired so that
repairs could be made at sea, but latter it was decided that the ship
should be taken to a harbour. The Laissez Faire sailed to Zaandam harbour,
in the Netherlands, for repairs. New backers had been found for the
stations, Mr Murphy and Mr Langford III. While in Zaandam the frequencies
of 355/227 were painted on the side of the ship.