Legal link
By 23rd November, five out of nine sections of the mast had been erected, but due to storms could not be finished.

Finally on 24th December, the new 165 foot yellow painted mast was complete, and at 15:45 test broadcasts commenced. Tests continued over Christmas, and on 28th December, another new station was heard - Radio Mi Amigo, a Flemish organisation who had hired transmitter time.

Radio Seagull returned on 7th January 1974, after Radio Mi Amigo closed for the day. Almost a month later, on 6th February, the 50 kilowatt transmitter was back at full power, and reception was good over most of Europe.

Reports were received from Abu Dhabi, India and Texas. 23rd February. After an announcement in the Caroline Newsletter Radio Seagull was last heard on 23rd February, and was replaced by Radio Caroline, with the same progressive music format.

Complaints had been received by Radio Caroline that they were causing interference to the Dutch Hilversum 3 on 240 metres / 1250 kHz during the evenings. A live link-up with Hilversum 3 was made on 27th February.
Easter 1974, saw Radio Caroline celebrate her 10th birthday with special programmes, from Saturday 14th April. Less than a week later, Caroline was off the air on the19th and 20th April, while work was carried out to strengthen the mast.

Back to England
Radio Caroline, once again vowed to carry on. On 29th August, the Dolfijn captained by Koos van Laar, arrived to tow the Mi Amigo back to the English coast. The Dolfijn was owned by Delta Diving, whose head was Captain Tom van de Linden, the man who had carried out the bomb attack on the Radio Northsea ship Mebo II in May 1971. The 30th August, saw the Mi Amigo drop anchor eighteen miles from the Essex coast, near the Kentish Knock lightship.
As midnight came on 31st August 1974, the Dutch Marine Offences Act became law and the Mi Amigo was once again the only radio ship in Europe.

Spanish address
Radio Caroline's office in the Hague closed down at the end of August, and the postal address of the station changed to that of Radio Mi Amigo, at Playa de Aro in Spain. The move back to England quickly attracted the attention of the British government, who soon began gathering information against Caroline. The stations output was recorded, and deejays and others associated with Caroline came under surveillance.

New mast

New mast


Sylvain Tack

Sylvain Tack - Radio Mi Amigo



Radio Caroline 1974

ArrowLeft ArrowRight